Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Chicken Taquitos Recipe

I subscribe to AllRecipes.com to get their daily email. They send out a recipe or two per day and I always open their message to see what the goody of the day is. Most of the recipes they send are no-gos because I have a SUPER picky husband. But once in a while I get a winner. And this was one of them. I tweaked their recipe a bit because I wasn't a fan of the author's ingredient choices. But all in all, it made a good starting point and they turned out delish!

(Inspired by)

Ingredients:
* 2-3 uncooked chicken breasts (original recipe called for canned chicken, but I prefer fresh chicken)
* 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese 
* 12 corn tortillas
* 1 pack taco seasoning packet
* EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) - optional
* sour cream - optional
* guacamole - optional

- In your crockpot, place your uncooked chicken breasts in the bottom. Cover the chicken with water and mix the taco seasoning in (I use low sodium taco seasoning)
- Slow cook the chicken breasts in your crock pot for 4 hours on low (may take less time). 
- When the chicken is done cooking, preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- Grease a baking sheet
- Preheat a small skillet on your oven over medium heat
- Remove the chicken from the crockpot and shred/chop the chicken 


- Put all of the shredded/chopped chicken in a large bowl and mix in the two cups of shredded cheddar cheese. You could use any shredded cheese you want: pepperjack, monterey cheddar, etc would be good as well. 


- In your preheated skillet, warm the tortillas one at a time over medium heat until flexible, about 10 seconds per side. I would warm a tortilla, and while I was filling that tortilla with filling, I would preheat the next tortilla. All about being efficient!
- Once your tortilla is warm and flexible, spoon some of the filling in to the middle. I used about two regular spoonfuls. 


- Roll the tortilla and place it seam side down on your greased (or sprayed) baking sheet. I lined mine with tinfoil, just a habit of mine.
- Repeat until all of your filling is gone. 
- Lightly brush the tops of the filled tortillas with EVOO (extra virgin olive oil). This will help them become crisp and crunchy when baked!
- Bake for 30 minuted in your preheated oven. 

(Ignore the janky one at the top left - I didn't heat the tortilla long enough)

- Top with sour cream, lettuce, guacamole, tomatoes, etc.
- Enjoy!

(I love guacamole, don't judge)

** You could jazz these up even more by adding diced onion, peppers, or other veges. The original recipe called for mixing some hot sauce in with the chicken and cheese filling, but since we have a 6 year old who isn't too fond of "snappy" (spicy) foods, us adults just drizzled some on top when they were done baking **

I have to say, THESE WERE DELICIOUS. These will become a regular staple on our dinner menu. They were super easy to make (especially with slow cooking the chicken all day). Both my husband and daughter enjoyed them as well. You could also make these as an appetizer or substitue the chicken for ground beef! So many options to make it your own :) I hope you try this recipe and enjoy it as much as we did! 





No comments:

Post a Comment