Thursday, April 25, 2013

Korean Tacos - Recipe

We have a new favorite dinner in our household, one that my husband loves, and for that I am grateful! I get a hankering for Asian style food all the time. Could by my Korean genes making themselves apparent, but who can say. And being Korean, I LOVE Korean food. Go figure. Another food I love, even though I'm not Hispanic, is tacos. So, I thought to myself, why not combine my two favorite things? And this is what was born.

Beef/Chicken Bulgogi Korean Tacos

Ingredients
- 1 lb ground beef or chicken
- 6 tbsp soy sauce (I use Kikkoman, all other brands taste like gross brown salt water)
- 2 tbsp sesame seed oil
- 2 tbsp sugar (I dissolve it a SMALL amount of boiling water - some people use pear juice instead - but you need some sort of sweetness)
- 2 cloves minced garlic (I cheat and use the preminced in a jar)
- Pepper to taste
- Soft Burrito tortillas
- 2 cups White Rice
- Kimchi
- Sriracha (opt)
- Lettuce

Cooking Time!
- In your rice maker, start cooking your rice. 2 cups of white rice and 2 1/2 cups water.


(I LOVE this rice maker)

- In a medium skillet, start to brown the ground beef or ground chicken. 
- While the meat is cooking, combine the soy sauce, sesame seed oil, sugar, garlic and pepper. Stir well. 


- Once the meat is full cooked and drained, return to skillet. Pour the marinade over the meat and simmer on low until the rice is done cooking. Give the meat a stir every once in a while to make sure the marinade soaks in. 


- When the rice is done cooking, warm your tortillas. I place 3 between two wet paper towels and microwave for 1 minute. 
- You can assemble your taco any way you like. I put white rice on the bottom, then add the meat, then top it with Kimchi. Eric likes to add the Sriracha (hot chili sauce) and lettuce. Brooke likes it in a bowl, all cut up and easy to scoop!


This is an easy way to appease my Asian food cravings while keeping it somewhat healthy and guilt free. Enjoy!






1 comment:

  1. Genius idea that I will have to steal! I haven't made Bulgogi since we moved a month ago, but this sounds so nummy, that I'll have to make it soon. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete